* mini birthday cake *
Fluffy Cloud, Warming Breeze ...
Lately I have googled a number of butter cakes recipe. everyone describes their cake as " The best, The only " recipe they had. so many " the The the" , which one is the real good butter cake ?
I realise western cakes are more dense, less-fluffy, and rich. Asian ( not all, but mostly) prefer soft, fluffy( but not airy) , bit spongy will do.
I took a reicpe from Loving Baking 's yummy butter cake. I changed 70% of the recipe, it turned out really good. Here's my own version of "soft" butter cake.
125g salted butter
30g sugar ( use fine sugar)
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence ( I omitted this, I explain why**)
45g Egg yolk (estimated 3 yolks)
1 Tbps milk
80g Cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 T cream of tartar
30g Sugar ( use fine sugar)
** I omitted vanilla essence in this butter cake. I always find the aroma of the vanilla essence is too overpowering ! I can't smell my "butter" even if I only drop 1/4 teasppoon of vanilla. Sometimes I find vanilla essence a bit like cough syrup! anyway, that is my personal opinion only. And this cake has a nice buttery smell without vanilla essence added.
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Grease 6" round cake tin , put aside.
2. Beat butter, sugar until light and creamy. Add in the yolk one at one time and continue beat until creamy, add in 1 T milk.
3. Fold in sieved cake flour and baking powder into the step 2.
4. Whisk egg white with cream of tartar, then add in sugar. Whisk until Soft peaks.
5. For me, I pour the creamed butter mixture Into the eggwhite in one go, and fold until fully incorporated.
6. Bake the cake for 38 minutres at 170C. ( I think everyone's oven temperature varies here, so always check with skewer or toothpick comes clean, then considered cooked)
7. Remove the cake from tin and let cool.
Ha ha , my top part slight burnt, sigh, what an oven! However, the texture of the cake is soft, slighty spongy eggy feel, and moist, when I say moist, it means it does not climb on ur throat where you need water to flush down!
my sis last minute require a cake for friends, she wanted me to make a card like this , but I told her due to time constraint, this mini buttercake will do ; )