Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Lemoney Lemon Bars


This is my first attempt on Lemon Bar, and guess what? my first time eating Lemon Bars. I used to see these bars in the cafe, and they were so dry and just not getting my attention to buy them.

my sis requested for a "Lemon" recipe. She's the type who love "Linzer Torte" kind of food. I'm happy, I have a "western" tongue sis with me now. (note: she is my 1st younger sis, not the youngest sis whom wasted my unbaked mango cheesecake )

I search for Lemon bar recipe from tastespotting ... and get this Very good recipe from Smitten Kitchen.
Sometimes I am thinking, Picture really says everything! Smitten's Lemon bar picture really makes me drool !!! and I think , like I say, picture says everything. the recipe turned out good. (Thanks God I pick the right recipe)


* Argh, compared to Smitten, my picture really bad enuff! haha. However, this bars, give a slight moist lemon creamy mixture on top, then middle slightly dense, and bottom with buttery crust.*

Again, the second thing I like about this recipe is the crust. I 'm very particular with crust or any cookies type (butter + flour + sugar) food. As advise by smitten, u can adjust the crust a bit. I hence reduce the sugar, add slightly more salt ( probably 2 sprinkle). And I guess the portion of flour & butter is good, as It gives a crumbly light crisp crust. ee I like this crust! *lolz*

recipe (I halve from Smitten's and change a bit)
crust:
half bar of unsalted butter. ( I used anchor brand)
2 T of sugar only
1 cup of flour
2 dash of salt
1 T lemon zest ( I added this part)

lemon layer:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar ( original calls for 1 1/4cup)
*using 1 cup sugar , lemon layer turned out quite sour, but we like*
2T lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice + 2 T ( I added extra 2T )
1/2 cup flour

Icing usgar for dusting.

1. prehead oven to 350 Degress F. ( 180C)

2. Cream butter & sugar until light in a bowl. I used Whisk to cream ! no machine here. Then combine flour, salt & zest. Dont over mix. U will get something like the pic. After that, gather the mixture and form a ball.

3. Grease the baking dish or pan. ( I dont have square flat pan) Then flatten the dough and press into the greased dish..

4. Bake the crust for 15 - 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool outside the oven, while leave the oven on.


5. For the lemon layer, whisk together eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice & flour. U will notice the mixture give lots of lump. For me, I pour into a sieve and use a whisk to keep stir on the sieve, until the lump gone. then pour back the zest into the mixture.

6. Pour the lemon layer over the crust and bake for 30-35 minutes.

1 comment:

Zurin said...

OOOOOOO Looks soo yummy Denise! I think I'll make it too. Is it smitten's recent post? She did lemon pie right?

ThE st0ry beHinD the ShELL

My photo
Beautiful Kay Kay, Sabah, Malaysia