Saturday, September 6, 2008

mum's birthday


Yesterday, mum picked me up from office & go home. In the car, she was asking..

mom: Ah Tng, ur fren got bake fruit cake or not?
Ah Tng: No need to order! I bake!
mom: HA???? Can eat or not oh
Ah Tng: Worse to worse.. eat the Fruits only la if cake fails!

"Roar!!!!!! "

Today is my mom's birthday ! I knew her only favourite cake is cocktail fruit cake , with fresh cream. Everyone in the family were in Horrific when I said I will bake mum a cake! bcuz, knowing my sponge cake will usually sink sank sunk.
Relax.... my cake did rise! I'm more comfortable with folding eggwhites this time. I was a bit too greedy, I pour 3/4 into my 8" tin, it rose high and the top crack on one side, and my little boy came and said " Ah Tng, ur cake very fat!" haha
Ha! my cake is tall !! Taller than my previous experience!!


slice 3 layers! looks normal. soft
I have 3 reasons for not order a good cakes outside. instead made a really humble cake for mum.
i) we always want more cocktail fruits in our cakes. ( u will see later)
ii) we want less whipping cream. ( however! .. story later)
iii) I want to make peach rosess for mum ! mum's favourite flower!
ha see, this is what I meant more cocktail fruits than ... anything.

Problems ..
1. I bought the wrong cream from Consfood! I got myself the tiny pack (Pauls') .. and after I whip the cream and spread on cake, ROAR!!!!!! got water come out from the cream lahh and my last 2 layers were slightly soaked with some liquid. i hate! wrong cream!!
2. So I walked to Pelangi, bought the right whipping cream (after finished doing last 2 layers), and when I whip my last top layer & side, (more whiter, as compared to the 1st one- more yellowish..) I knew, I bought the wrong cream in the 1st place already.
Dunno what is wrong with me! I knew the difference between whipped, whipping and thick cream. and I actually bought 'thick cream' in the first place!!!! I am soo sad... ;( Luckily I managed to get the right one for top layer, and put on some roses.. and told myself, its ok.. eat fruits only
3. The sponge. When I cut the cake & taste, it is still airy soft. Dunno why after into fridge, a bit dense! my sis said it still taste normal. but mum said it tasted dense and not spongy, not airy worr.......

ok, I m really exhausted now, back from mall .. need a short nap

5 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

happy birthday to ah tng's mom! cake looks good (but yes, dense. did u separate egg whites n yolks, did u use a hand-held machine to beat the whites bc tt gives smaller air bubbles n denser cakes). but no matter what, home0made cakes taste best bc of the quality ingredients n the love put into baking them, yes?!

ganache-ganache said...

at least u make the effort to bake a cake for your dear mummy lah ! The cake does look dense, strange, how come only after you refrigerate it ??? Paul's is dairy cream whereas what you get from pelangi is non dairy whip, it's stable & stiff but all those hydrogenated oils & coloured white, I think you probably didn't whip Paul's long enough & got to chill the bowl, better still the beaters too !hey, i like your roses, tried it with mango didn't work leh, you must teach me..

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

Terri: ya loh,used separate white method and used hand-held machine to beat. ;( When I was in pelangi, Kitchen-AId cost like RM 2300+ wor!!! So ex!!

Ganache: ha!! no wonder ah the non-dairy one so WHITE lah!!! now i still have 800ml in fridge! dunno what to do with it! eh The paul's tat one ah!! may be underbeat or Overbeat.
haha! Peach Rose ah, u start with Peach 1st , should be easier than Mango quah!

ganache-ganache said...

hey, that shop everything over-priced !!! her KA so old model & so expensive....

Denise ^ ChickyEGG said...

Ganache: Yes, Thanks for 'warning' me! Hahahahaha ya lah, plus ah, the aunty very grouchy face! very "pigeon eyes" too! only talk to rich aunty face.

ThE st0ry beHinD the ShELL

My photo
Beautiful Kay Kay, Sabah, Malaysia