Paris Brest is made from choux pasty and form into a ring.
Story behind Paris Brest from Wikipedia
Paris-Brest-Paris (PBP) was originally a 1200km long bicycle race from Paris to Brest and back to Paris. It is the oldest bicycling event that is still regularly run.
That is why the shape is round like a bicycle wheel.
Ingredients (Choux Pastry Recipe)
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 whole milk
1/4 cup flaked almonds ( I used whole almonds, and hammer into broken pieces... to show / illustrate bumpy roads in KK ;p)
- Bring water,milk,butter to boil over medium heat.
- All flour all at once and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Continue to cook and stir the mixture for about 1 minutre, to eliminate excess moisture.
- Let it mixture cool for 5~10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beathing thoroughly after each egg.
- Make sure paste is mooth before adding each egg.
- Beat the dough till smooth and shiny.
- Pipe paste onto pan about 4cm round wheel shape.
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Bake at 200 C at 15 minutes, then reduce to 180 C for another 10~ 15 minutes...or until golden brown and very firm to touch.
1 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 3 egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoon cornstarch.
- Bring milk, sugar, vanilla to boil in a small saucepan.
- Off from saucepan, gradually beat in egg yolks and cornflour. Whisk well.
- Return custard mixture to saucepan, stir over heat carefully until mixture boils and thickens.
1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan
- Simmer until the mixture is golden brown in colour. Remove from heat and decorate accordingly.
Cut the ring into halve, pipe cream around it..drizzle with toffee and sprinkle some almonds on it.
verdict: I think, i wont make this again... VERY TEDIOUS La.... i woke up in the morning, from 8:30 until 11:30 oh... failed TWICE in making cream + pastry!!! finally success!!! and... alltogether 8 eggs are wasted =p mum came back, asking me... where are my 10 eggs from fridge? ( the other 2eggs were used for fried rice)! hahahaha... I just keep quiet.. and gave mum RM 20 buckz to replace her 10 eggs! hahahahhahah