I really like this recipe , now it makes me feel that those braised pork eggs selling in shops are actually very easy to make. Many thanks to Lydia 's recipe.
My family quite sensitive with star anise, hence I only use 1 star anise and 1 cinnamon stick. I did not slice the red onion & garlic, I let it cook as a whole. I cut the meat into 3 big chunks, then only slice when serving. It tastes really good!
Ingredients (4-5 servings): recipe from Lydia
- 600gm - 800gm pork belly
- 2 head garlic, whole
- 3 bulb shallots, whole
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anises
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3-4 cups hot water. ( I braised for 1 hour, after tat the sauce quite thick. Eventually I add 1 cup hot water to continue boil for another half an hour, and it turned out just nice)
- Salt to taste
- few hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- Wash & cut the pork.
- Heat up the wok with cooking oil, add in garlic, shallot, sugar, cinnamon stick and star anise. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in pork and dark soy sauce. Stir fry until the sauce and juice from the pork is reduced.
- I transfer the pork and everything and eggs into another pot and add in 4 cups water to stew for 1 hour. When it's ready to eat, add in 1 cup hot water and simmer for half an hour.