How Lucky am I ! my aunt shares her 'secret recipe' with me! (Giggle) Thank you so much to Kylie's mum! This is my favourite home-cooked braised duck so far , is even better than some of those selling in the stall!
I am unable to provide the exact measurement of the ingredients used, well, even you get me to cook pasta, i dont really measure everything so detail! just throw in everything ! u get what i mean?
salt & pepper
3 Tablespoon five-spice powder
1 raw duck, ( mum bought me 3kg!)
7-8 shallot, minced
2-3 slices ginger , minced( Use galangal if you want)
1 stick cinnamon
4 -5 Tablespoon cooking oil
[sauce] - based on estimation!
3 T light soya
2 T dark soya
some sugar to taste
water , enough to cover 3/4 of the duck
1) Clean the duck, use fork to poke holes on the duck body. Marinate by rubbing salt & pepper, and five spice powder on it and inside the stomach! can even put more seasoning inside the stomach. Marinate Overnight for better result. Next Day, before cook, remember to chop its head, butt and nails!
2) Prepare the shallot, ginger, and garlic. Heat up the wok with oil.
3) Fry the starnise , cinnamon roll and ginger for 2 mins.
4) Stir in garlic and shallot now, and keep frying until fragrant. - 3 mins
5) Pour some water on the work , add in light soya and dark soya and let it simmer for 5 mins. ( remember not to make the sauce too salty! just have some ' brown' colour is enough, as our duck has been marinated with salts!
6) Put the duck in, make sure the water can cover 75% of the duck, if not enough, add more.. turn to high heat until the water is boiling for 10 mins. In between overturn the duck and continue boil.
7) Slowly turn to medium heat, cover with Lid . Simmer for 1.5 hours standard, or up to 1 hour 45 mins. We cook for 2 hours. ( Occasionally open the lid and turn the duck , to avoid sticking the bottom wok or burnt)
8) When the duck is cooked, take it out from wok, and let it cool aside before you hold the duck to chop! Dont throw the sauce! Heat up the wok, let the sauce slightly thicken itself. Then Drizzle the sauce on the duck and serve! :D
The main spices that make the duck so flavorful!
After marinate for overnite.. a 3kg duck. Remove its Head, Bottom and chop off the nails!
Heat up oil, fry the ginger, cinnamon stick and starnise
Throw in shallot and garlic
Pour in enough water
Let it boil for few minutes before drop the duck in
Turn on high heat and boil for a while before close lid and simmer
One hour later ....
Drizzle the sauce on it and serve !